Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Great-grandfather, William Clarke

My great-grandfather, William Clarke, came from Ireland with his mother and sister about sometime in the 1850s and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio.  He is first listed as a stone cutter in the Cincinnati City Directory for 1860. To date I have been unable to determine when he died and where he is buried. He is last listed in the City Directory about 1885 although it is sometimes difficult to determine if the entry is for my great-grandfather or his son. The last census where he appears in that for 1880. Finally, he is not listed in the records for the St. Joseph Cemetery in Cincinnati where his wife, my great-grandmother Anna Donnelly Clarke is buried.

Yesterday I believe that I have found him in the Hamilton County Ohio Will index at the University of Cincinnati web site. The entry notes:
Surname Clarke
Given Name William
Date Filed 12/21/1886
Residence Cincinnati, OH
Box 63
Case No 31726
Executor No Information
Beneficiaries Margaret Clarke, William Clarke, Julia Clarke, Elizabeth Clarke, Mary Clarke 
I have sent for a copy of the will and associated papers from the UofC and will wait to see if in fact this is my great-grandfather. In the meantime in the Ohio Probate Records for 1789-1996 at the Family Search site. I find the following for William Clarke.
It doesn't say much other than, "Authenticated copy of the will admitted to record." We will see what else is there when the will is received.

1 comment:

Michael La Porte said...

Nice find! I look forward to hearing what comes back from your request.