Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Afternoon at the Madison Theater

Probably once a month or so my wife and I will see a Saturday or Sunday afternoon movie at the Muvico Theater on Airport Road. Being seniors, we pay the same as our youngest grandchildren - $6.50. Such a deal!  But I remember the Saturday afternoon movies in Rochester when I was growing up.  The Madison Theater on Genesee Street.  The building is still there at 300 Genesee Street but it is no longer a theater. 

The Saturday matinee at the Madison was a real bargain, although I'm not sure that I realized that at the time.  Admission was $.16 - that's right, sixteen cents!  And for that you got two feature films, cartoons, coming attractions, news and a serial.  That was a bargain.  In addition, there may be something like a yoyo contest.  Can you imagine a line-up like that today?  I don't think so.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

I thought I remembered $.15 and then you had $.10 for candy.

Unknown said...

Maybe you're right. For some reason I'm thinking $.16.