Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Maloneys in the 1870 Federal Census in Rochester

Although my 2nd great-parents, Anthony and Ellen Kearney Maloney, were in Rochester, NY at least by 1854, the first census records I have found were those of the Federal Census of 1870 (line 26). Their youngest child, Margaret Mary (Minnie) was baptised at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Rochester in 1854 and Anthony Maloney was listed in the Rochester City Directory for 1855-56. Anthony probably died sometime after 1857. The first record lists Ellen Maloney keeping house; Michael, a miller (although I suspect this should be millinery as he did run a millinery shop); Edward, a telegraph operator; Thomas, a machinist; and Margaret.
Ellen Maloney & Family in 1870 Federal Census in Rochester, NY
My great-grandparents, Francis and Sarah Weed Maloney, are also listed in the 1870 Federal Census in Rochester, NY (line 28). They will leave Rochester shortly after this census to move to Leoni Township, MI.  Two children are listed: Frances (Mary Frances) and my grandfather, Frederick. Although my grandfather was generally known as Frederick George, in this census he is listed as Frederick H.  Other places I have seen it as Frederick Hampton. I have no idea where the Hampton came from.
Francis Maloney & Family in 1870 Federal Census in Rochester, NY

No comments: