Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Maloneys in the 1900 Federal Census for Rochester, NY

By 1900, my 2nd great-grandmother, Ellen Kearney Maloney, had died and was buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. My grandfather, Fred Maloney, had married to Jenny McGill in Leoni, MI in 1891 but she died in 1897. My grandfather returned to Rochester where he had been born and in the 1900 Federal Census he is listed as a border at 17 S. Ford Street (line 26). His occupation is listed as a "machine operator."
Fred Maloney in 1900 Federal Census for Rochester, NY 
My great-grandfather's brother, Michael, is listed in the Rochester City Directory living 81 Marshall Street but I have not found him in the 1900 census. Another brother, Thomas, was living with his wife at 119 Frank Street (line 94). It is difficult to read the year listed as when he came to this country.  It is 186? - although the Maloneys were listed in the Rochester City Directory in the 1850s. The place of birth for Thomas is listed as Canada and I suspect that this is correct. He is not listed in the baptismal records in Co. Clare, Ireland. I suspect that the family came first to Canada (probably Montreal) as relatives named Gallery were there. (Gallery was Francis' middle name.) I have corresponded with the Gallery family living in either Scottsville or Spencerport.  In Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Ellen, Edward and Thomas are buried in a plot originally owned by the Gallerys.
Thomas Maloney in 1900 Federal Census in Rochester, NY

No comments: